Storm Ciara made a dramatic entrance last week, leaving heavy rain, 90mph winds and flooding in her path, and now the Met Office has announced Storm Dennis is to hit the UK this weekend, bringing with him winds of up to 70mph and almost five inches of rain.
Big storms can be unpredictable and cause disruption in everyday life, but more so, can be a precarious period for businesses, which is why planning for poor weather conditions is an important step in ensuring the business is run smoothly and avoiding expensive claims.
One of the biggest risks that comes with a storm are floods. The Met Office has put a number of flood alerts in place. Offices that are situated in coastal areas have the highest risk, however, even if you are not located by the coast, it is important to be alert to flood risk and protect your property should flooding occur.
Below are a few steps you can take to protect against a flood:
- Inspect building drainage system and check the building for structural defects through which water could enter and seal them.
- Elevate critical stock and equipment off the ground or relocate items to an upper floor
- Ensure fuel storage tanks are securely fastened or anchored to reduce potential pollution or damage in case of flooding.
- Consider raising power sockets, phone connections, servers and cabinets to a higher point such as one metre or above expected water levels.
- Develop a Flood Emergency Response Plan (FERP) and subscribe to flood alert warnings such as the Environment Agency scheme.
- Consider moving any stock kept in open yards to better shelter, and higher ground, wherever possible.
Account Executive Adrian Bonas said: “You can never be too prepared. With such unpredictable weather in recent times, it really pays to have a plan in place, which can help your business run more efficiently in the event of any disaster, and more importantly, help prevent costly claims.
“However, in other cases where damage has already occurred, it is important not to panic as there are ways to cope with the aftermath. Reporting your claim as soon as possible is the most important step as your broker will be able to offer assistance and advise on the best course of action. You should then make a list of any items damaged, including photographs, as this will help with any claims.
“Most importantly, make sure to stay safe during this time.”
Towergate Insurance Brokers is one of the UK’s leading independent insurance brokers and risk management advisors. Boasting an experienced team of insurance specialists, Towergate Insurance Brokers has built a solid reputation for understanding many business sectors and industries, and the everyday risks that they face in today’s increasingly complex world. They also look after the insurance needs of private individuals and families seeking tailored personal covers.