Former Secretary of State for International Development, Rt Hon Rory Stewart has been announced as the final keynote speaker at this year’s Association of British Insurers Annual Conference on Tuesday 23rd February. Rory is of course familiar to Twitter fans for his famous `Kip with me’ campaign to be London Mayor last year.
Rory Stewart will be reflecting on the unique challenges facing the UK economy, drawing on his unique experiences as a Cabinet Minister, Conservative party leadership candidate, diplomat and explorer. He will address the key trends that will shape politics and the economy over the coming decade, while drawing on his knowledge of insurance industry issues from his various portfolios, including flooding and civil justice.
The Annual Conference will uniquely bring over 40 speakers from across government, regulation and industry in one place, making it the standout insurance event of the year. Joining the Economic Secretary to the Treasury are representatives from the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Ombudsman Service, Bank of England and the Environment Agency, as well as a host of senior industry figures. Chaired by Times Radio host Aasmah Mir, guests include:
- John Glen MP, Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Rt Hon Pat McFadden MP, Shadow Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Sheldon Mills, Executive Director, Consumers and Competition, Financial Conduct Authority
- Charlotte Gerken, Co-Executive Director, Insurance, Bank of England/PRA
- Caroline Wayman, Chief Executive and Chief Ombudsman, Financial Ombudsman Service
- Gwyneth Nurse, Director, Financial Services, HM Treasury
- Sir James Bevan, Chief Executive, Environment Agency
- Nisha Arora, Director of Consumer & Retail Policy, Financial Conduct Authority
- Paul Waugh, Political Editor of HuffPost UK
- Tony Burdon, CEO, Make My Money Matter
- Dr Kay Swinburne, Vice Chair of Financial Services, KPMG
- Professor Paula Jarzablowski, Professor of Strategic Management, City, University of London & University of Queensland
- Jon Dye, CEO, Allianz and Chair of the ABI
Following a year like no other, attendees can also expect to hear from a host of key industry leaders, including members of the ABI Board:
· Tracy Blackwell, Chief Executive Officer, Pensions Insurance Corporation and ABI Board Member
· Andy Briggs, Group Chief Executive Officer, Phoenix and former Chair of the ABI
· Claudio Gienal, Chief Executive Officer, AXA UK and ABI Board Member
· Julian Adams, Director, Public Policy and Regulation at M&G plc and Deputy Chair of the ABI
· Steve Bridger, Managing Director, Aviva Health, Aviva
· Tracy Garrad, Chief Executive Officer, AXA Health
· Owen Morris, Global Chief Underwriting and Data Officer, Aviva General Insurance
· Hayley Robinson, UK Chief Underwriting Officer, Zurich
· Stuart Tragheim, Chief Executive Officer, Holloway Friendly
· Phil Willcock, Chief Executive Officer, AIG Life
· Julian Enoizi, CEO, Pool Reinsurance
· Mark Hoban, Chair, Flood Re
· Maria Nazarova-Doyle, Head of Pension Investments, Scottish Widows
The ABI Annual Conference will look at the strategic and reputational challenges ahead for the industry as we tackle the longer-term impact of Covid-19 and look to a post-Brexit future. This includes the role of public-private partnerships in protecting society from systemic threats and Solvency II reform to better tailor rules and supervision to UK firms. In the run up to COP26, the role of the insurance and long-term savings sector in addressing climate change issues will also be key.
Alongside this, the Annual Conference will discuss the FCA’s proposals on GI Pricing, the vital importance of diversity and inclusion across the industry, protecting vulnerable customers and providing product value and ensuring the long-term savings market delivers a financially resilient population. It is being delivered in partnership with KPMG.
It will be delivered via a fully-interactive digital platform that will enable attendees to network with each other, visit exhibitors and take part fully in the debates.
Last year, the industry came together to raise over £104m for the Covid-19 Support Fund. We’ll also hear from General The Lord Richard Dannatt, Chairman of the National Emergencies Trust, one of the partners working closely with the Fund to distribute donations.
Huw Evans, Director General at the Association of British Insurers said:
“The ABI Annual Conference is a timely opportunity to address the reputational and strategic challenges facing the insurance and long-term savings industry after a testing year. It is also a critical moment to look beyond the current crisis and examine the role we can play in the broader economic recovery and tackling climate change. We have a diverse range of fascinating speakers and panellists and I look forward to hearing their perspectives at this significant time. While we will all miss some of the elements of a normal conference, operating digitally means we can have more attendees from our sector and no queues for lunch or toilets.”
More details on this year’s agenda and line up can be found in at the Annual Conference 2021 hub.