Driving Abroad? Allianz Reminder on EU International Driving Permit

Allianz Assistance UK, the travel insurance and assistance services expert, is recommending travellers get to grips with the documents that they might need in order to drive in Europe, if Britain leaves the EU with a ‘no deal’ Brexit this Friday. Holidaymakers could find themselves in need of an International Driving Permit (IDP) if they plan to drive whilst abroad and supply is already in strong demand.

IDPs are already a requirement if planning to drive in many countries outside the EU/EEA, but this could soon apply to Brits who are heading off to Europe if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. IDP’s cost £5.50 and can be obtained over the counter at Post Offices across the UK.  Applicants must be a GB or Northern Ireland resident, have a full UK driving licence and be 18 or over.

Kate Walker, Head of Direct Business at Allianz Assistance UK explains. “If the UK leaves the EU without a deal this Friday then IDPs will be needed alongside a main driving licence, if you are planning to drive whilst you are on your travels. This could apply if you are taking your own car abroad or hiring a car at your European destination.

“It is also really important that you know exactly what you need before you set off because to make things slightly more complicated, there are three different IDPs currently in use and you may need more than one depending on the country that you are visiting. But be warned, the Post Office has been experiencing an increase in customers looking to purchase an IDP, so if you are heading abroad soon, you might want to secure one sooner rather than later.

The Post Office says on its website, “We’re aware that some of the 2500 branches across the UK providing International Driving Permits (IDPs) have seen high demand, and we’re sorry to anyone who has been unable to purchase an IDP at their chosen branch. We’d like to reassure customers that we have plenty IDPs in stock and we have been providing branches with extra supplies.”

Concludes Kate Walker: “It’s best to add ‘checking IDP requirements’ to your pre-holiday preparation list along with other essentials like travel insurance, valid passports and the correct currency.  All the necessary information you need is available on http://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit. The good news is, there is no requirement for UK licence holders visiting EU/EEA countries to undertake any additional test to drive after the UK leaves the EU.”

About alastair walker 11411 Articles
20 years experience as a journalist and magazine editor. I'm your contact for press releases, events, news and commercial opportunities at Insurance-Edge.Net

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.