Leading pleasure-craft insurer Navigators and General (N&G)has launched a new small craft policy with increased cover and new market-leading features. The insurer, owned by Zurich, is rolling out the enhanced policy to new and existing customers with small sailing boats, dinghies, motorboats and speedboats.
The policy replaces N&G’s current Sailing Dinghy and Small Craft policies – combining the best of both wording, together with new and enhanced cover. Among the market-leading wording is ‘new for old’ cover on damaged sails and canopies, with other insurers typically deducting a third for wear and tear before paying out.
The policy also allows customers to keep their boat on a recognised mooring for up to 24-hours during the sailing season (1 April to 30 September). Most other policies require small craft to be kept ashore when not in use, which can cut short day trips and overnight stays.
Other new or improved cover includes:
• An increase in third-party liability from £3million to £5million
• Cover up to £1,000 for medical expenses and up to £500 for pet medical fees following an accident on board the vessel
• Cover up to £15,000 for family and guests if hit by an uninsured vessel
• No excess to pay where customers are not at fault for a claim or when the vessel is damaged while in a marina.
Amy Wright, Head of N&G, said, “We’ve significantly enhanced our small craft policy to create a more comprehensive and competitive solution for customers and brokers. As well as combining our best small craft wording into a single policy, we’ve extended the cover and added new market-leading features, such as ‘new for old’ on canopies and sails. With the freedom to tie-up their boat for 24-hours, customers also have the flexibility to get out on more day trips and overnight stays, knowing that their mini-adventures are fully covered if the worst happens.”
Existing customers of N&G’s Sailing Dinghy and Small Craft policies will automatically benefit from the enhanced cover at no extra cost. No cover has been removed as a result of the changes.
Earlier this year, N&G also announced it would make a £100 donation to the RNLI on behalf of customers who need to call on their services for a rescue.
Benefits of N&G’s small craft cover
N&G’s small craft insurance policy will protect most types of small sailing boats, small motorboats, speedboats and most types of sailing dinghies when used on inland and coastal waters of Europe, up to 12 nautical miles offshore.
• Loss or damage to your craft by fire, theft, accident, or malicious damage.
• New for old insurance on the mast, spars, sails, canopies and rigging.
• Loss or damage whilst in transit by road.
• Loss or damage to personal effects up to £250.
• £5 million third party liability cover as standard.
• Cover up to £1,000 for medical expenses and up to £500 for pet medical fees following an accident on board the vessel.
• Personal Accident cover up to £25,000 for death or permanent total disablement as a result of an accident on board the vessel.
• Cover up to £15,000 for family and guests if hit by an uninsured vessel.
• Non-fault excess waiver – no excess to pay where deemed not at fault and third party details are available.
• No excess to pay if your vessel is damaged while in a marina.
• Racing risks cover for sailing craft up to 23ft in length.